This is the old lumber mill as most of today's older generation might remember it. When it burned to the ground in 1969, it was the oldest building in town. The original mill on this site was built in 1846 by brothers Charles and Calvin Cross. It was eventually sold to J.H. Nyman, who operated it until 1862, when he razed the building and built a bigger mill. There were three mills on the mill pond in Bangor and another on Black River one mile west of town. We have pictures and the history of all four.