Before Charles Phillips came to Bangor in 1869, he had attended Olivet College and Hillsdale College. At the age of 19, he enlisted in the 25th Michigan Infantry during the Civil War. In 1875 he purchased the Bangor Reflector and sold out to his competition, Lyman Russell, owner of the Advance, in 1888. Charles built the store known to many of us as the IGA or Waite's Market in 1891 and went into the mercantile business for several years. He was elected at least twice to the State Legislature. Mr. Phillips had two sons, Roland and Henry. His daughter's married name was Harrington and she lived in Holland, MI. We need to find Mr. Phillips' family.
We have located members of Charles C. Phillips family.